Congratulations on your engagement and plans to marry. Please do contact us at any point, but you may find that much of the information you need is on this page.
You need to establish whether you can be married at St Mary’s. To do this, we suggest you visit the Church of England website, where they can tell you which parish you live in. You just need to put your postcode in and click on a map. Visit the Church of England wedding website.
You can be married at St Mary’s if you satisfy just one of the seven conditions listed below.
That one of you:
- has at any time lived in this parish for a period of at least 6 months or
- was baptised in this parish or
- was prepared for confirmation in this parish or
- has at any time regularly gone to normal church services in this parish church for a period of at least 6 months or
That one of your parents, at any time after you were born:
- has lived in this parish for a period of at least 6 months or
- has regularly gone to normal church services in St Mary’s Church for a period of at least 6 months or
That one of your parents or grandparents:
- was married in this parish
And did you know that if you move house, you’re immediately connected to the church there? That means you can marry in the church of your new parish.
Marriage in Church after Divorce
We wish you a lifetime of love that grows within God's protection. But we recognise that some marriages do fail for all sorts of sad and painful reasons. So in certain circumstances we are happy to conduct the marriage of someone who has been divorced before, although there are some circumstances where the minister will not consider this appropriate. If you are considering this, we would love to listen and support you as you work things through.
There may be a way for you to remarry in a church, but you will need to talk to the Rector about this. Please contact the Parish Office and ask for a Marriage in Church After Divorce form with the wedding application pack. Please note that you will also have to satisfy the requirements above concerning a connection with the parish that apply to all marriage applicants.